First of all, I'd like to say I respect anyone that gets in that cage/ring and lays it on the line for my entertainment. However, there were several times in which I was watching a fight this year and almost feel asleep due to the excitement I was experiencing. There are a lot of factors that contribute to a fight being 'bad' in my opinion. It can be lack of action, a main event not delivering, sloppy technique, etc. So without further ado, below you'll find my personal top ten for worst MMA fights in 2009 in no particular order.
1. Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida at UFC 94
2. Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leitesat UFC 97
3. Kimbo Slice vs. Houston Alexanderat TUF 10 Finale
4. Travis Lutter vs. Jason MacDonald at MFC 22
5. Antonio McKee vs. Carlo Praterat MFC 22
6. Jake Shields vs. Jason Miller at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers
7. Mark Coleman vs. Shogun Ruaat UFC 97
8. Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort at UFC 103
9. GSP vs. BJ Penn II at UFC 94
10. Antonio McKee vs. Derrick Noble at MFC 20
I know some of you saw this list and probably said WTF? The majority of these were just fights that lacked a large amount of action. I know you may be asking, how could a fight that didn't goto the judges end up on this list? Well, the Franklin/Belfort fight was just underwhelming to me. There was little to no action prior to Belfort putting Franklin away, and the way he put him away just kind of had me like...that's it? Dunno, just left a bad taste in my mouth. With GSP/Penn II, that was just a one sided beat down. It was so bad that it wasn't even really entertaining in my opinion. So let's see your lists, or you can just criticize mine :) or both.