According to PWInsider
1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000
2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000
3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000
4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000
5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000
6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000
7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000
8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000
9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000
10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000
Taking a look at this, the obvious glaring fact is that Brock Lesnar is a huge draw. It’s crazy to think the three highest rated UFC shows all featured him. Also interesting is one glaring omission in this. The pound for pound and middleweight champ himself, Anderson Silva is nowhere to be found on this list. That’s surprising to me since he had a huge bout earlier in the year at UFC 82 in a unification match against then Pride 183 champion Dan Henderson. His only other pay-per-view outing was in October at UFC 90 where he was victorious against a game Patrick Cote.
It’s quite safe to say UFC has the ability to really takeover the pay-per-view market as they’ve basically done so this year. I think UFC 92 could draw some big numbers as well and close the year off very solid for the biggest MMA organization in the U.S. With some huge match ups on the horizon like GSP/Penn 2, Lesnar/Mir 2 or Big Nog, Randy Couture’s next move, Anderson Silva in some super fights, etc. 2009 could be a year that sees UFC dominate it’s only competition in boxing and WWE. What upcoming bouts or possible bouts could take UFC further beyond the 1 million buy rate?