There were a hell of a lot of MMA fights to choose from and these lists are always debatable(which I encourage you to do so). However, below are the top ten MMA fights that 2008 brought to us according to yours truly. Basically I picked the fights that were exciting, had impact on the sport/careers, and fights that had many of the full aspects of MMA. You can check the list out after the jump and I encourage you to list your own top ten in the comments section.
10. Chris Lytle vs. Paul Taylor(UFC 89)-The was just a plain old rock'em sock'em stand up war which I'm usually not that big of a fan. However, both fighters here took shots that would make most men quit in the cage. I picked this fight more so for the heart of both fighters than the standup exchanges.
9. Thiago Tavares vs. Kurt Pelligrino(UFC 88)-I saw this fight live and let me tell you that it had so many changes of momentum. Just when you thought Tavares was done he somehow found a way to stay alive and keep coming at Pelligrino. I can't remember if this fight made the broadcast that night, but if you haven't seen it you should go check it out right now.
8. Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald(UFC 87)-Many people are probably like wtf? I'm a big fan of good ground fighting and this one had it all. Maia had MacDonald in a triangle choke early in the fight only for MacDonald to somehow escape. Nice transitions and multiple sub attempts. MacDonald held his own before succumbing to a submission in the final round.
7. Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young(EliteXC Primetime)-I picked this fight because it basically made Carano the star she is today. It was also the fight women's MMA fight on prime time television. Plus she put a beating on Young, although Young showed madd heart.
6. GSP vs. Jon Fitch(UFC 87)-It's rare these days and times in which you get to see a champion fight the legitimate #1 contender. Well, that's exactly what we got in this fight and it was pretty exciting although it was more of a one sided beatdown. The fight showed just how much heart Fitch has, and just how dominant GSP is over the rest of the UFC WW contenders. Stay tuned for GSP vs. Alves in 2009 hopefully.
5. Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva(UFC 84)-This fight was do or die for Wanderlei Silva(at that time). A loss to Jardine would have probably been the end of his career. However, Silva showed flashes of the old "Ax Murderer" running through the "Dean Of Mean" in just 36 seconds. This fight further endeared him to the fans in America with his humbleness after the fight.
4. Forrest Griffin vs. Rampage Jackson(UFC 86)-The big underdog takes the title away from the champion(I still think Rampage won that fight). The fight was a great back and forth affair with drama, excitement, and anticipation. This fight further cemented the legitimacy of The Ultimate Fighter.
3. Eddie Alvarez vs. Joachim Hansen(DREAM 5 GP)-This fight was an absolute war, and announced to the world that Alvarez was a force to be reckoned with in defeating Hansen.
2. Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda(WEC 34)-Another war that surges an virtual unknown fighter to super stardom. The fight itself was non stop action from scrambles on the ground to wicked stand up exchanges. A must see MMA fight.
1. Rob McCullough vs. Donald Cerrone(WEC 36)-I finally had the opportunity to watch this fight when WEC showed their best of 2008 show on Versus the other night. This fight was unbelievable as both fighters took massive shots and were dropped multiple times. McCullough escaped submission attempts with Cerrone establishing himself as a legitimate threat to Jamie Varner's WEC 155 crown. You couldn't ask for more in a fight.
Honorable Mention-Carlos Condit vs. Hiromitsu Miura